Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Your Road and Yours Alone



When I was a little girl, I looked up to my sister so much that I told myself when I grow up I want to be just like her. Meaning I wanted to go in to the same university as her and basically have the same life as her. But then I remember vividly when I shared that to our school counselor, she told me something like we all live a different life and you can't expect yours to be the same as hers.

That started to make sense when I got in to a different university and several instances whereby I felt like it's not going to be the same. So I focused on what I'm interested in and then slowly build the kind of life I wanted from there.

I realize from then on that no one really cares whether you opt to go this way or that way, because it's not their life and they themselves are busy doing their own thing. So if you want to go after something, you can't expected them to do it for you and you can't rely on them either. Because in the end, no one will help you except yourself.

That's why it's very important to know what you want. Take the time to listen and know yourself better.  I figured out mine when I went to Europe. And if it means for you to do the same and I encourage you to do so. Remember, it's your road and yours alone.

image via