Monday, October 08, 2012

Why Not Do What You Love?




The vision that you glorify in your mind, the ideal that you enthrone in your heart - this you will build your life by, and this you will become.  - James Allen

Often times we hear people say do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life. I firmly believe that. And as much as this is true, most of us don't get to do so. Why? Because either the opportunity is not there, our circumstances doesn't allow us to or we haven't realize our full potential to be able to live out our dream. But that doesn't mean we can't do anything about it. Here are some tips.

1. Know what you want and what you're good at

There is a fine line between these two and it can't be separated if you want to succeed. You may want to become a fashion designer but do you have what it takes? or maybe you just want to work in a fashion industry and do pr or marketing because that's where you're good at. I must admit, when I was a teen, I wanted to become a fashion designer but then I realize I can't pull ideas out of the box. So I took up marketing instead. It's also something that interest me and I know it will eventually lead me to the industry I wanted to pursue in.


2. Look out for opportunities

Check online, make friends, expand connections, you'll never know when it will pop up. Just keep an eye and when you found something small say an internship for a small scale company or freelance writing with little pay, it's a start. Treat it as an experience. It will help hone your skills and prepare for bigger opportunities when it comes.

3. Take baby steps

Don't rush. These things take time. Usually when you jump into something without giving it enough thought, you'll realize it's not exactly what you're looking for. You'll end up wasting time, energy and you'll feel devastated. You don't want any of that. So it's better to take it slowly but surely.

Remember, you need to have the courage to live out your dream no matter what it takes. Surely, you'll face challenges along the way but don't let it stop you. It's all part of the experience. Just keep looking and you'll triumph in the end.

image via