Friday, May 08, 2015

Paper Towns by John Green


I wasn't so sure how I feel about John Green after reading The Fault In Our Stars. I just find the story way too young and too predictable. I figured since everyone was reading it, I thought I'd give it ago. It turns out, it wasn't my cup of tea but thanks to the movie, John Green relieved himself to me and I figured perhaps I just wasn't reading the book properly.

I grab one of his book again, took my time and surprisingly, I did enjoy it. It reminded me how it was like to be young and be free. How there were less responsibilities back then and how little fears we have aside from just getting a passing grade. But now we tend to hold ourselves back because of fear. Like I can't do this because of this or I can't do that because of this. Whatever the reasons are we just forget how to live and we don't realise that there is more to life than where we are.

In short, we forget how to dream and live in those dreams and this book tells you otherwise. One of my favourite quotes from the book is "Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will… but then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all." Yup, I'm a total John Green convert. Now on to the next.

photo via: zahid-c and risarodil